Our last day in the Bahamas :(

Erika presenting in ASL to the students of the Center for Deaf Children

For our last day in Nassau, we had a jam packed day from morning to night! I woke up with the sunrise, out of habit, and got a workout in before Janet and I headed to the Center for the Deaf in Nassau to give one last presentation. I got in touch with Ms. Tessa Nottage, the principal of the school, and arranged to give a diabetes presentation there while I was in Eleuthera, and she was very welcoming toward me! We arrived and instead of getting a specific age group, I had the whole school not including the pre schoolers so from elementary schoolers to high schoolers! I tried to give the presentation as simply as I could so that the younger children could understand it, but not too simple because I didn’t want to lose the attention of the high schoolers. After a little bit, I noticed the younger kids getting distracted, so I tailored my presentation to the high schoolers since they were all eyes. After the presentation, I chatted for a bit with the Deaf teachers at the school, I met one of the same ladies that was there last time and three different women, the last lady was not at work that day but they have five Deaf teachers there altogether. One of the criticisms I got about the presentation was that my signs were a little too advanced at times for the younger children, and I agreed with her completely, due to the fact that I started focusing on the high schoolers when I saw the younger ones getting past their attention span. Overall, it was a great experience and I was glad that I was able to give the presentation to the school! The high schoolers will be focusing on diabetes in health next week so it was a perfect introduction to their next unit!

Discover Atlantis Tour

After that, we all went downtown into Nassau and shopped around and picked up some last minute souvenirs and gifts for family and friends, or ourselves. We all met back up around noon and walked over the bridge to Paradise Island where we got to experience Atlantis! It is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen, the best way I can describe it is a mix of Sea World and Las Vegas. The resort can have up to as many as 10,000 people on the property at one time! There were so many cool fish in the aquariums all over, my favorites were the manta rays that were sooooo big, but they were only juveniles! They could grow to be up to 28 feet, our tour guide said and I was already blown away even though they were still growing. There were two of them, the females name was Athena and the male was Poseidon. I also saw a tiger shark for the first time and I thought that was such an interesting looking creature!

Then we got another tour and a presentation from the Human Resources department where we learned a little bit about the hiring process and employment details of Atlantis, since it is the number two job provider in the Bahamas, only second to the government. I went back after the tour to the seahorse exhibit because I didn’t get to see it on the tour and it was so amusing to watch because they remind of me of little hummingbirds of the sea, just a lot slower. We saw its feeding time, and it seemed like such a long process. Everyone I was with got very excited when it finally caught a little fish. Afterward, we all met back up around 7 for dinner at Señor Frogs, since it was an easy spot for everyone to find and congregate to. The last dinner was a good time and we spent our night dancing until the wee hours of the night…which was 9 for some of us, and 11 for the rest of us since we have been so used to going to bed early from Island school. It was a blast and I’m really happy that we were all able to spend the last night holding it down on the dance floor, even when we were the only people out there.

We are now in the Nassau Airport, waiting to board and fly to Atlanta where we will have to wait a few more hours before we catch our last flight to Portland. The Bahamas treated us well, and I am sad to leave but I am thrilled to see my family and friends when I arrive home. I hope the adjustment to cold weather won’t be too harsh for me, I have my sweatpants and sweatshirt ready in my bag for when we get back to the states. I am so thankful to have been able to be a part of this trip with such great people, it was a great experience and I couldn’t have asked for more!